- Friend: So how do you think you've changed since high school?
- Me: Well I became aware of oppressive power structures and how we are complicit in them and now seek to dismantle them.
- Friend: ...
- Me: I also think I got hotter.
- You are stronger than you realise.
- You are crueller than you realise.
- The smallest words will break your heart.
- You will change. You’re not the same person you were three years ago. You’re not even the same person you were three minutes ago and that’s okay. Especially if you don’t like the person you were three minutes ago.
- People come and go. Some are cigarette breaks, others are forest fires.
- You won’t like your name until you hear someone say it in their sleep.
- You’ll forget your email password but ten years from now you’ll still remember the number of steps up to his flat.
- You don’t have to open the curtains if you don’t want to.
- Never stop yourself texting someone. If you love them at 4 a.m., tell them. If you still love them at 9.30 a.m., tell them again.
- Make sure you have a safe place. Whether it’s the kitchen floor or the Travel section of a bookshop, just make sure you have a safe place.
- You will be scared of all kinds of things, of spiders and clowns and eating alone, but your biggest fear will be that people will see you the way you see yourself.
- Sometimes, looking at someone will be like looking into the sun. Sometimes someone will look at you like you are the sun. Wait for it.
- You will learn how to sleep alone, how to avoid the cold corners but still fill a bed.
- Always be friends with the broken people. They know how to survive.
- You can love someone and hate them, all at once. You can miss them so much you ache but still ignore your phone when they call.
- You are good at something, whether it’s making someone laugh or remembering their birthday. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that these things don’t matter.
- You will always be hungry for love. Always. Even when someone is asleep next to you you’ll envy the pillow touching their cheek and the sheet hiding their skin.
- Loneliness is nothing to do with how many people are around you but how many of them understand you.
- People say I love you all the time. Even when they say, ‘Why didn’t you call me back?’ or ‘He’s an asshole.’ Make sure you’re listening.
- You will be okay.
- You will be okay.
3 lines to break a marvel fan in split second
I See What You’ve Made Me 14
Lydia woke alone in bed. For a moment everything was quiet and peaceful and she reached her hands out searching for Derek, but he wasn’t there. The bed was cold beside her, his pillow unused on. With a horrible shudder everything came trailing back into her mind.
Lydia could still see her mother’s body vividly, her mother’s weary grey eyes, as alive as ever still trying to hide her pain and her mother’s last smile. She could still taste the torch smoke at the back of her throat; feel the hilt of the sword heavy in her palm. Lydia shook her head in an attempt to dispel the horrible memories and tried to return to her present situation.
Lydia had sent Derek away of course. In hindsight was that the best thing to have done? Derek had been trying to comfort her, trying to say soothing words but Lydia couldn’t wash the memory of her mother’s eyes from her mind so quickly. ‘Perhaps,’ a little voice in her head said, ‘you didn’t want the comfort.’